by Diana Dretske
* * *
The Bonds of War offers a unique look at the esprit de corps between men from the same Illinois hometown with similar but dissimilar immigrant experiences. More than a regimental history, Diana Dretske’s book provides a window into the wartime experience of an entire community.
Here are additional materials for The Bonds of War that supplement the text.
- Copy of Edward Murray’s “Application for Increase of Invalid Pension.”
- Edward and Nancy Murray home on Stateline Road in Lake County, Illinois.
- John Y. Taylor letter to his sister, Isabella Low
- Lt. Col. Isaac L. Clarke (1824-1863) and “The Funeral Lt. Col. Isaac L. Clarke,” Waukegan Weekly Gazette, October 10, 1863.
- “New Flag for 96th Ill.,” Waukegan Weekly Gazette, November 7, 1863.
- “Mother of the Regiment,” Mrs. Gen. John C. Smith
- List of 96th Illinois Volunteer Infantry Soldiers from Lake County Imprisoned at Camp Sumter/Andersonville
- Interview with Diana Dretske on the ECW YouTube page and as a podcast