The Emerging Civil War Series: We do not accept unsolicited manuscripts or proposals for books in the Emerging Civil War Series, ECW’s collaborative series with Savas Beatie, LLC.
Engaging the Civil War: To submit a proposal for Engaging the Civil War, ECW’s collaborative series with Southern Illinois University Press, follow SIUP’s submission guidelines. However, rather than submit the proposals to the press, submit them to us here at email@example.com.
For the Blog:
Emerging Civil War is open to submissions from our readership. Articles, book reviews, and photo essays are all welcome. Please be advised that we DO NOT pay for any article submissions. We DO NOT pay if your submission is published on the site. Emerging Civil War is 100% non-profit. We do offer to promote you and your work to the best of our ability, while offering an outlet to explore new ideas and improve as a writer/historian.
We are looking to establish long-term relationships with writers who conduct excellent research and provide a fresh look at an old subject. Any articles that the author submits should offer a new interpretation of or newly discovered information on significant events.
Authors will receive an e-mail acknowledgment when their submission has been received. The review process may take up to two weeks. Once the process is complete, an editor will contact the author to report the outcome. Just because you submit an article does not mean we will post the article. If your writing is accepted for publication, you will be asked to sign a form stating that the article is your own work and allowing Emerging Civil War to retain first digital rights.
To be considered for authorship, please keep in mind the following guidelines:
- Any and all topics on the Civil War are welcome (battles, Reconstruction, memory, etc…)
- If submitting a proposal, be specific about what your article will focus on. Include an outline of the story idea and a professional biography.
- Any first-time article should be no more than 1,500 words.
- All works must contain footnotes or endnotes in either Chicago or MLA format.
- All work must be original by the submitting author.
- Articles should not be of a general nature but should be written to be enjoyed by a general audience.
- Articles should have strong leads. The first few paragraphs must capture readers, hold on to them, and then propel them into a story.
- Article submissions must contain an author’s professional biography.
- Submissions are subject to modification and editorial board review, with the editors having final approval.
- Previously published work is accepted as long as the author owns the copyright. Previously published submissions must be identified as such at the time of submission.
- Any photos or photo essays should set the scene, showing specific items of interest as they relate to your narrative. They must come with captions and photo credits.
- Please submit all articles in a titled word or PDF document. Be sure to put the author’s name at the beginning of the piece.
Please Note: Occasionally, we run special blog series. You are welcome to submit an article on the topic, but unsolicited guest articles for a series are not guaranteed to be reviewed or published during the series. This is due to the high volume of editing involved in a blog series. If the article is accepted, we will feature it at a later time.
If you have a recent book or article you would like to have reviewed, please contact us. The books will be assigned to authors with expertise in the titles subject area. Books are reviewed on a first come first serve basis. Normally the review process takes 2-4 weeks. We do not accept self-published books for review.
Submit all articles, inquires, and proposals to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please contact us with questions.