$155 – Early Bird Registration for 2020 ECW Symposium
- ECW Podcast “A Conversation with Charlie Knight” Is Now Available
- John Brown 160th: Who’s On The Series Header?
- “Overflowing with patriotic love for the Old Dominion and old rye whiskey…”: Western Virginia Militia Witness the Execution of John Brown
- “But his soul goes marching on.” Brown, Douglass, and the Radicals
- Question of the Week: 10/21-10/27/19
Search by Post Categories
Subscribe BY RSS
Tag Archives: Waterloo
After a 10-week hiatus in the city of Puebla, General Winfield Scott was ready to resume his advance against Mexico City. “We had to throw away the scabbard and to advance with the naked blade in hand,” the American commander … Continue reading
On June 18, Europe celebrated the 200th anniversary of Waterloo, one of the most decisive engagements in history. 5,000 reenactors recreated the event, and it garnered a great deal of attention on the web. On July 1-3, here in the … Continue reading
Today, we are pleased to welcome back guest author Jim Taub It would seem appropriate that, as the last post centered on the men who charged across Saunders Field 151 years ago today, to write of their participation in that fight. Of … Continue reading
As the 152d Anniversary of Gettysburg passes into the rearview mirror, I cannot help but also note the juxtaposition of last month’s Bicentennial of Waterloo. Both of these battles are among the most discussed and debated events in military history. Why?
Though our main focus here at ECW is the American Civil War, we would be remiss to fail noting the 200th Anniversary of the Battle of Waterloo. Following Napoleon’s abdication in 1814, the rest of Europe thought that the nightmarish … Continue reading