In June, the National Park Service (NPS) announced 3.8 million dollars in Battlefield Land Acquisition Grants to preserve 398 acres on four battlefields in Virginia and one in West Virginia.
The awards in Virginia are all to the Virginia Department of Conservation and Recreation, and their partners for battlefield land throughout the state.
The projects include slightly over 2.4 million dollars for a little over 97-acres of the Brandy Station Battlefield in Culpeper County where on June 9, 1963 nearly 21,000 soldiers fought in the largest cavalry battle in the history of the western hemisphere. At Cold Harbor just under $174,000 was awarded to save 11+ acres of the 1864 battlefield. In Prince William County $268,259 was awarded to save 3.11-acres of the Second Manassas Battlefield near the unfinished railroad cut. The final Virginia project is an award of $459,807, preserving just over 141-acres of the Piedmont Battlefield, where Union Major Gen. David Hunter defeated Confederates on June 5, 1864.
In West Virginia, Jefferson County Farmland Protection Board was awarded $492,097 for the placement of a conservation easement on 149.6-acres of farmland on the historic Shepherdstown Battlefield.
Click here to read more about all these projects.