2022 ECW Symposium Ticket – $225.00
- Congratulations to Meg Groeling!
- The Romney Expedition: Confederate Tales of Snow and Ice
- Civil War Myth-busting: Did General Lee inherit a genetic marker that made him more aggressive on the battlefield?
- Civil War Myth-busting: R. E. Lee, Warmonger or Peacemaker?
- Robert E. Lee as a “Fallen Leader”?
Search by Post Categories
Subscribe BY RSS
Tag Archives: Rear Admiral David Dixon Porter
“We still live,” wrote Lieutenant Elias Smith of the USS Lafayette. “The whole gunboat fleet passed the Vicksburg batteries on Thursday night [April 16, 1863], without receiving material damage. All praise to the Lord and Admiral Porter.” As far as … Continue reading
On May 10 I lectured about the Battle of Midway to Old Dominion University’s Institute of Learning in Retirement. Over the course of a wonderful discussion, I assessed one of the U.S. commanders, Raymond Spruance, as “one of the greatest … Continue reading
Today, we are pleased to welcome back guest author Dwight Hughes. This post is based on a forthcoming book on the CSS Shenandoah. In the cool dusk of Sunday, 2 April 1865, Abraham Lincoln sat with Rear Admiral David Porter … Continue reading