Although the 150th Anniversary of the fighting that opened the Atlanta Campaign has been quiet compared to the Overland Campaign, several things have occurred, the best being the opening of two small “battle” parks around Dalton, Georgia.
The first is Fort Fisk in Mill Creek Gap, a position where the Eufaula (ALA) Light Artillery were deployed to help stop Sherman’s push into Mill Creek Gap.
The second is Potato Hill, another gun position, but one that covered the North side of Dalton. Potato Hill is very imposing and must have been a dream position for an artilleryman.
On May 9, 1864, John Schofield’s Army of the Ohio received orders to attack the northern line of Confederate defenses in another diversion to aide McPherson’s move through Snake Creek Gap. The demonstration brought down a shower of iron upon the advancing bluecoats in the rolling fields of Crow Valley, turning into a long-distance contest that soon drove the attackers to seek shelter from the well-placed shells of Rowan’s 3rd Maryland Artillery deployed on Potato Hill and sharpshooters of Tucker’s Mississippi Brigade deployed in support of the gunners.