Emerging Civil War is pleased to welcome back Matt Stanley–now Dr. Matt Stanley–to the blogosphere. Matt helped us launch ECW back in 2011 but then had to take some time out to finish his Ph.D. You can read some of Matt’s early posts here:
- Civil War, Civil Rights, and Thoughts on the MLK National Memorial
- Race and Reunion 10 Years Later: “Reconciliationist” Memory Trumps “Emancipationist” Memory
- Albert R. Parsons: Confederate Veteran, Labor Activist, Radical Martyr
- Rethinking the Civil War Dead
- Kayaking to “Glory” Island
Matt is now assistant professor of history at Albany State University in Albany, Georgia. He teaches courses on Slavery, the U.S. South, Public History, the Civil War and Reconstruction, and the Long Civil Rights Movement.
Matt has contributed to The Public Historian, Civil War History, The Civil War Monitor, Ohio Valley History, Middle West Review, The Register of the Kentucky Historical Society, Civil War Book Review, and the Kansas City Public Library Civil War Encyclopedia Project, “The Civil War on the Western Border.”
Matt’s book, The Loyal West: War and Reunion in Middle America, will be published in the fall of 2016 with the University of Illinois Press. His current research interests are the cultural nexus between Civil War veteranhood and radical class politics.