Earlier this week, it was reported that Stafford County’s Board of Supervisors (Virginia) accepted an offer to relocate Civil War graffiti which dates to the winter of 1862-1863. The original location is Buzzards’ Roost and Union soldiers carved their names into a boulder at the top of the rocky hill; sixteen of the soldiers’ name have been identified and researched.
Buzzards’ Roost will soon be cleared and graded to create a building site for new warehouses. However, the developers have agreed to hire professional stonemasons to remove the graffitied part of the boulder without destroying the carvings; the removed artifact will then be donated to Stafford County Cultural Heritage Museum with $10,000 to allow it eventually be displayed at Stafford Civil War Park.
The county did consult and seek advice from historical commissions, National Park Service, and the developers about this solution. Some advised leaving the graffiti and historic hilltop untouched. However, the board of supervisors unanimously decided to accept the relocation solution.
At least the etchings will be preserved…