Question of the Week: 6/6-6/12/22

Do you have a favorite historic site to visit/explore along the Gettysburg Campaign routes?

This entry was posted in Campaigns, Question of the Week and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Question of the Week: 6/6-6/12/22

I don’t have one particular site. It seems that every time we go there, we’re able to check out something new. While not actually connected to the campaign or battle, we have visited Gettysburg for their Christmas Festival in 2019 and 2021. It’s something we hope to do most years going forward. If anyone reading this has never been to one of those, we highly recommend that you check it out.

2. Bill C. says:

Union Mills on Big Pipe Creek.

Quoting my husband, “The Gift Shops!”

4. kojack1863 says:

The Cemetary at Hunterstown and Monterey Pass.

5. nygiant1952 says:

Cashtown Pass, a fault in South Mountain.

6. Chris Mackowski says:

Rock Top Bookshop, located in Cashtown!

If I’m coming in from the north, I like the sites in Carlisle, Mechanicsburg, and other West Shore spots associated with the Second Corps’ advance. Jim Schmick did a great job coordinating the layout and interpretation of those sites. And his bookshop in Mechanicsburg, Civil War and More, is also worth a stop!

7. billhenck says:

Catoctin Furnace

8. Brian D. Kowell says:

Monterey Gap.

9. William Fean says:

I don’t visit any particular part of the Gettysburg Campaign routes but I do stop (I live in NJ) and visit the former site of Camp Stockton in Woodbury NJ where the 12th NJ was trained. When In Gettysburg, I visit the 12th NJ monument and the NJ section of the National Cemetery and pay my respects to those identified as belonging to the 12th. Once back home I make a short trip to another cemetery and visit the marker of a soldier from the 12th killed during Pickett’s Charge. It kind of bookends the trip for me seeing where they were recruited, where they fought, and then the final resting places for some. For my kids, it gives them a sense of perspective as well.

10. Ed says:

The Hunterstown, PA area where the smaller and lesser known cavalry battle took place on July 2nd.

• Ed says:

I also like to visit Brandy Station – specifically the St. James Church area and Fleetwood Hill. I’m not sure if he was there or not, but one of my great-great grandfathers was in Company H of Cobb’s Legion Cavalry Battalion. This company of Georgians fought as dismounted sharpshooters during the battle there on June 9, 1863.

11. Pingback: Week In Review: June 6-13, 2022 | Emerging Civil War