All of us at Emerging Civil War are excited to announce that C-SPAN will be filming the Saturday session of the First Annual Emerging Civil War Symposium at Stevenson Ridge. C-SPAN will be filming live to tape, meaning that they will not be airing the symposium live, but will air talks at a later date.
Because C-SPAN will be filming, we have had to rework the speaker order at the event (Please click here for the update speaker listing). We are happy to announce that we have added a speaker to the line up for the day. Emerging Civil War Co-Founder Kristopher D. White will lead off the day with a lecture entitled “The Changing Face of War: The Civil War in 1864”.
Due to a family surgery, sadly speaker Lee White cannot join us for the Symposium. Lee will be replaced by Ryan Quint. Ryan will speak on “From his eyes flashed a spirit unconquered and unconquerable”: Manning Force and the Battle of Atlanta. Lee, all of us wish you and your family the best.
Fear not all of you Patrick Cleburne fans, we have added a discussion of Cleburne as one of our Friday night roundtable topics and Ryan will be covering Cleburne at Atlanta as well. (Click here for the updated schedule of events.)
Below, please find our updated information. We look forward to seeing everyone at the event! (Click here to register.)
First Annual Emerging Civil War Symposium at Stevenson Ridge
“The Civil War in 1864?
Please join us for the First Annual Emerging Civil War Symposium at Stevenson Ridge. The theme of this years symposium is “The Civil War in 1864.” Below are details pertaining to the August 15-17 event, as well as a detailed schedule of events. Click the following link for a detailed listing of our speakers, tours, and topics.
- August 15-17, 2014
- One all inclusive ticket is just $55.00 per person. Click here to register.
- All tickets will be sent within 10 days of the purchase date. If you forget to bring your tickets along to the event, please do not worry, we have a full list of all participants.
- Stevenson Ridge. Stevenson Ridge is located on the Spotsylvania Court House Battlefield, 12 miles south of Fredericksburg, Virginia. Click here for a map.
- Friday night roundtable discussion emceed by Chris Mackowski.
- Author book signing events.
- Saturday lecture series, with keynote presentation by Eric J. Wittenberg.
- Sunday tours of the Wilderness and Spotsylvania Battlefields. (Participants choose which tour they would like to take when they arrive at the event registration, in August.)
- Door prizes.
- Welcome Gift Bag
Included with Registration:
- Friday night welcome reception and roundtable discussion, with hors d’oeuvres and cash bar. (Registration table opens at 6 P.M.)
- Saturday lecture series, morning coffee service, lunch, afternoon snack and author signing event. (Registration table opens at 8:30 A.M.)
- Sunday car caravan tours of the Wilderness and Spotsylvania Court House Battlefields.
Lecturers and Tour Guides:
- Daniel T. Davis—”More Desperate Fighting Has Not Been Witness on this Continent”: Ulysses S. Grant and the Overland Campaign; and An in-depth tour of the Spotsylvania Court House Battlefield
- Phillip Greenwalt—From “Old Bald Head” to “Lee’s Bad Old Man”: A Study of the Second Corps, Army of Northern Virginia in 1864
- Chris Kolakowski—1864: The Last Stand of the Confederate Navy
- Chris Mackowski—An in-depth tour of the Spotsylvania Court House Battlefield
- Ryan Quint- “From his eyes flashed a spirit unconquered and unconquerable”: Manning Force and the Battle of Atlanta
- Meg Thompson—A Bad Month for the President: Campaigning the Election of ’64
- Kristopher White—The Changing Face of War: The Civil War in 1864; and A tour of the Wilderness and Spotsylvania Court House Battlefields
- Eric Wittenberg—The Trevilian Station Raid
- (Also joining us for the Friday roundtable discussion are author’s David A. Powell, Michael C. Hardy, John Michael Priest, and publisher/author Theodore P. Savas.)
Click here to visit our detailed speaker page.
- Stevenson Ridge has a number of packages for symposium participants: a two-night stay for two AND conference registration ($425); a two-night stay for four AND conference registration ($670). Please call Stevenson Ridge at (540) 582-6263 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Emerging Civil War has booked a block of rooms at the Hampton Inn-Fredericksburg South. This hotel is off the 126 Exit of Interstate 95. The event rate that we have booked is $94.00 per night. Please mention you are with Emerging Civil War when making reservations. 540-898-5000.
- If you are not planning on staying at the Hampton Inn or Stevenson Ridge, here is a link to the other hotels off the 126 Exit. Most of the hotels off the exit are a 10-20 minute drive from Stevenson Ridge.
- Before June 30: 100% Refund
- July 1-July 31: 50% Refund
- August 1-After: 0% Refund
We would like to thank the sponsors of this event:
- Stevenson Ridge
- Savas Beatie, LLC
- Blue and Gray Magazine
- The Fredericksburg Area Museum and Cultural Center
- Darby Downs Equestrian Center
- Civil War Brigade Legends
- Friends of Fredericksburg Area Battlefields
*Proceeds from the symposium support battlefield preservation.
Registration and Schedule of Events: