Question of the Week: 2/1-2/7/16

Question-Header

Today’s Question of the Week comes from Edward Alexander, who asks, “Which Civil War individual would you most want to have a drink with?”

This entry was posted in Emerging Civil War, Personalities, Question of the Week and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Question of the Week: 2/1-2/7/16

1. Charlie Downs says:

Grant would be most interesting of all so I could see if all of the stories about him not being able to hold his liquor were as it was said they were.

2. joe truglio says:

Dan Sickles!

3. Richard says:

Lots of choices. I could take the easy way out and choose an ancestor, especially the one at Gettysburg, but I’ll go with Lew Wallace. He was involved in the Siege of Cincinnati, and was an intelligent man, author, politician and soldier. Hearing him tell his side of the Shiloh happenings, his political attitudes and his post-war careers would be fascinating.

4. Charles Martin says:

Oliver Otis Howard, neither he nor I drink alcohol.

5. I would like to have a drink with General Sheridan to have him describe how he improved as a general from Stone’s River and Chichamauga to the Valley Campaign and the Appomattox Campaign.

6. jonathan Gale says:

Forrest, and I would be close to an exit.

7. Dale Fishel says:

Anyone of my ancestors who served – on either side – and denied that I’d want to sit down and talk with Union General Emerson Opdycke.

8. ncatty says:

John Wilkes Booth, on the afternoon of the day he shot Lincoln, in he hope that I could drink him senseless. However, he was a heavy drinker, so it would have been me rendered unconscious instead.

9. Chris Kolakowski says:

I’d want to drink bourbon with Breckinridge, or have a beer with Schurz (or any of those German escapees) and talk about 1848. I’d also invite Krzyzanowski for some vodka and talk of :Poland.

On the other side of the coin, Shanks Evans and Jubal Early would be fun to party with.

10. Coffee with Clara Barton. Or tea with Varina Davis. I can’t decide…

Well, of course!! A nice, refreshing glass of lemonade on a big ol’ porch somewhere in the late summer with that beyond-handsome Elmer Ellsworth!! My, my, my!

12. Betty says:

A cup of coffee or tea with General John Bell Hood!! A very good man and general that has gotten some bad press!

13. Ed Cunningham says:

1. Abner Doubleday (ask about why Meade replaced him at Gettysburg. 2. Winfield Scott Hancock (a supurb Martini); 3. Frances Barlow (Boston Lager) and 4. Wade Hampton (ask him about Kill Calvary and watch the anger start to rise)

14. Miriam Houk Cunningham says:

I would love to have an adult beverage with Phil Sheridan over lunch. Then when the mood was just right tell him what a jackass he was.

15. Michael R. Bradley says:

Jonathan, Forrest was a teetotaler–never touched a drop of alcohol.

16. thomas place says:

love to have some good old mountain dew with my first person when i was REENACTING 1st Lt, Jackson Via of the 36 VA, INF REGT. [West Va.]

17. Eric Sterner says:

Thomas Jonathan Jackson, just to confirm for myself whether he was as weird as he appears to 21st century ears. I also wonder how he’d view his place in history.