This weekend marks the second annual Civil War symposium at the Victoria Read Public Library, in Flushing, Ohio. For the past two years event coordinator Roger Micker has put together a great lineup of speakers. Last years event paid tribute to Dr. John Mattox. Dr. Mattow is the founder and curator of the towns Underground Railroad Museum. This years symposium is sponsored by the museum and is sure to be a real treat.
- Tom Buckley, “Burnside’s Bridge at Sharpsburg, Maryland: September 17, 1862.”
- Dr. David Castle, “Secession: Self-determination or Rebellion? Who Decides?”
- Mark Holbrook, “Matthew Brady: Photography in the Civil War.”
- Roger Micker, “John Brown, Meteor of the Civil War.”
- Lloyd Wells, “The Vicksburg Campaign: Control of the Mississippi.”
- Kristopher D. White, “The Cresting Tide: A Reassessment of Lee’s Leadership from the Seven Days to Chancellorsville.”
The event is free to the public, and kicks off at 9 AM, Saturday, May 21. See the brochure below for more information.