The Cape Henry Lighthouses as seen on July 10, 2016 from Chesapeake Bay. For over 225 years one or both of these lights have indicated the entrance to Chesapeake Bay from the Atlantic Ocean.
The shorter brick lighthouse was the first public works project in U.S. history, created by Congress in 1789. It was extinguished in 1861 by Confederate authorities, but Union authorities later reactivated the light. The taller 20th Century lighthouse is next to it.
Off the picture to the left occurred the Battle of the Virginia Capes on September 5, 1781.