Question of the Week: 7/9-7/15/18

Whether you’re reading on the battlefield, at the beach, or while staying cool at home, summer is great time to pick up a book! What Civil War book[s] are you currently reading?

This entry was posted in Books & Authors, Question of the Week and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to Question of the Week: 7/9-7/15/18

1. Terrance Yount says:

Fort Harrison and the Battle of Chaffin’s Farm by Douglas Crenshaw. The Battle of First Deep Bottom by James S Price.

2. Scott Shuster says:

The Army of the Potomac in the Overland and Petersburg Campaigns, by Steven E. Sodergren, and A Campaign of Giants, by A. Wilson Greene.

3. David Lady says:

Challenges of command in the Civil War, Richard Sommers. On to Petersburg, Gordon Rhea.

4. Bill Jayne says:

Decision in the West by Albert Castel.

5. Confederate Waterloo: The Battle of Five Forks by Michael J. McCarthy and One Continuous Fight by Eric Wittenberg, David Petruzzi and Michael Nugent. I have read the latter before but I wanted to update my information.

6. Curt Hubertz says:

I am currently reading “The Warrior Generals” by Thomas B. Bull and “Blood Moon” by John Segwick. I am enjoying both books tremendously, Blood Moon has a few chapters on the Cherokee Nations involvement in the Civil War, primarily in the Weather and at the Battle of Pea Ridge. Have a good Summer.

7. Curt Hubertz says:

That should have been Buell, not Bull and West, not Weather!! Sorry.

8. Stan Killian says:

I was recently able to find a copy of “Stonewall Jackson at Fredricksburg” by Frank A. O’Reilly, and am reading it in preparation for my return visit to Fredericksburg, after the ECW symposium.

9. Scott Hagara says:

Now reading “Grant” by Ron Chernow. Long, but relatively light reading for the summer. Just finished “All The Great Prizes – life of John Hay” by John Taliaferro. Great book!

10. Tom Van Wie says:

Reading “American Ulysses” by Ronald C White. Long, but enjoyable.

11. Thomas Labayewski says:

Reading “Hancock the Superb” by Glenn Tucker just picked up at a used book sale.

12. Richard Rosenfeldt says:

I’m reading the Irish @ Gettysburg by Tucker. A good account of the Celtic influence in the war.

13. Albert Thomas Secor, Jr. says:

August 1944, Robert Miller. The Boys of ’67 by Andrew Wiest – 9th Infantry Div. – Vietnam – very good, but sad. Marching Through Georgia by lee Kennett – Sherman’s Campaign.
    The Edge of Glory, William Lamers – very good on Rosecrans

14. John Bell says:

Currently, “The War Outside My Window” which is a great diary by a teen from Macon, Georgia. Really tells a lot about civilian life in the South during the War. Outstanding.

Rereading American Oracle by David Blight, then The Civil War Dead & American Modernity by Ian Finseth, adn When Johnny Comes Sliding Home: The Post-Civil War Baseball Boom 1865-1870 by William Ryczek.

16. rarerootbeer says:

Jesse James: Last Rebel of the Civil War by T.J. Stiles
    I work with the National Park Service with a program called Trails and Rails. Jesse James came out to our part of the United States to Paso Robles on the California Central Coast to avoid being caught while robbing and killing after his “service” supporting the Confederate forces during the Civil War. I point out a saloon from the Amtrak train, in which he bought drinks, and he apparently went out to a local area called Pozo, near San Luis Obispo, California, looking for gold. Jesse James and his participation in the Civil War deeply affected his personality and life during and after the war.

17. Doug Pauly says:

Just started reading “The Civil War at Perryville – Battling For The Bluegrass” by Chris Kolakowski.

18. Thomas Pilla says:

Gordon Rhea’s “Spotsylvania and the road to Yellow Tavern”. Second in his series on the Overland campaign.

19. Charles S. Martin says:

Picked up “Vicksburg” by Samuel W. Mitcham, Jr., after playing a Worthington block-style board game “Pemberton & Grant. (I plated Grant and took Vicksburg by direct assault rather than by siege.) After that I ordered “Lee’s Invincibles, ” another Worthington block-style board game of the summer of ’63. Also have Rhea’s latest “On to Petersburg” started as well. Block-style games are board games that have the pieces standing up so the other player cannot see the type and strength of the unit the piece represents on the side facing the owner of the pieces. It adds a “fog of war” element to the board game.

20. Rayfield Pye says:

Just finished Grant by Chernow, now reading Turning Points of the American Civil War.

21. stevefayer says:

on the periphery of my normal campaigning and battles…” Wolf of the Deep….Raphael Semmes and the Confederate raider CSS Alabama “…..Stephen Fox. and.” This Republic of Suffering , Death and the American Civil War “….D.G.Faust

22. I have recently finished Thomas Ryan’s ‘Spies, Scouts, and Secrets in the Gettysburg Campaign: How the Critical Role of Intelligence Impacted the Outcome of Lee’s Invasion of the North, June-July 1863′ and Peter Tsouras’ ‘Scouting for Grant and Meade: The Reminiscences of Judson Knight, Chief of Scouts, Army of the Potomac’, both of which I thoroughly enjoyed. And I am now reading George Donne’s ‘Much Embarrassed: Civil War, Intelligence and the Gettysburg Campaign’, and so far finding it well-written and interesting.

23. Larry De Maar says:

I just finished “Lincoln’s Citadel: The Civil War in Washington D.C.” by Kenneth Winkle and now on “Amiable Scoundrel: Simon Cameron, Lincoln’s Scandalous Secretary of War” by Paul Kahan. I was surprised to find that Cameron was an early supporter of African-Americans in the Union Army but Lincoln was worried about losing the border states.

• How did you find ‘Lincoln’s Citadel’? It gets mixed reviews, but I think I might like to read it.

• Larry De Maar says:

I liked it very much. It is mainly about slavery in the capital and the efforts to get rid of it before and after the civil war. It is well researched, but there are a few errors. The most glaring one was that the author said Lee was begging Grant for a truce at Cold Harbor to remove the dead. The still liked the book and learned a lot.

• Larry De Maar says:

It is about the efforts to abolish slavery before and during the civil war in Washington D.C. and the results that I should have wrote.

• Thank you. I think I will get hold of a copy.

24. Pingback: Week In Review: July 9-15, 2018 | Emerging Civil War