2020 Symposium Postponed

PostponedBecause of the resurgence of COVID-19 cases across the country, Emerging Civil War has made the difficult but necessary decision to postpone our annual symposium. Originally scheduled for August 7-9, 2020, the Seventh Annual Emerging Civil War Symposium at Stevenson Ridge will now be held August 6-8, 2021. We will keep the same theme, “Fallen Leaders,” and our keynote speaker, Gordon Rhea, has graciously agreed to headline the event.

Until this past week, the governor’s planned Phase Three reopening suggested we would be able to safely hold our event. Nationally, however, the number of cases continues to rise. Because we have attendees who come from all across the country, and because many of our attendees are in high-risk groups, we felt it would be in the best interest of everyone’s health and safety to postpone.

People who have purchased tickets have three options available to them:

• They can receive a full refund.
  • They can “roll over” their ticket for admission to next year’s event.
  • They can make a tax-deductible donation to ECW.

Ticket-holders can indicate their preference by filling out this short survey.

Ironically, one of the big bits of news we intended to announce this year is that the IRS has granted ECW 501(c)3 status as a not-for-profit. We’ve always operated as one, but now we’re official. As such, supporters can make tax-deductible donations to ECW to help underwrite our educational mission.

As a way for ECW to say “thank you” to the folks who had signed up for the Symposium, we’re going to do a one-day virtual symposium later in August, and ticket holders will have exclusive, free access to the content. Details will be announced later this week, so stay tuned!

This entry was posted in Emerging Civil War, Symposium and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to 2020 Symposium Postponed

1. While I am totally bummed that this year’s symposium has been cancelled, I totally understand. Safety first. Should I choose to have my registration roll over into 2021 and something comes up that prohibits me from attending, do the typical refund deadlines apply?

• Chris Mackowski says:

Yes, if you roll your registration over, the typical refund deadlines will apply, so you’ll have plenty of time to change your mind if something comes up!

2. John Pryor says:

Understandable. And given the heated climate over Covid, statuary, Dionysian revelers capering in the streets, probably wise. Perhaps by next year we’ll have retired some of the verbal gutta percha canes we’ve been flogging each other with?

3. Donald Smith says:

Chris, I am sorry to hear this. It’s a hard decision, but the right one.

A year will pass quickly. Before you know it, we will all be vaccinated against COVID, and can meet as a group.

• Chris Mackowski says:

Thanks, Donald. It was a tough call, but in some respects, an easy one, too. We hope to see you next year!

4. Jason Janecek says:

As much as I was looking forward to attending my first symposium, this is an appropriate decision. Hope to make 2021.

5. Ed Cunningham says:

Now I have to cancel my dinner reservation at the Hooters next to the Hampton Inn in Fredericksburg.

We have reservations for both the symposium and to stay at Stevenson’s Ridge itself. Can BOTH of those be rolled over for next year?

• Chris Mackowski says:

You can roll over your tickets; Stevenson Ridge should have reached out to you about your reservations.

7. nygiant1952 says:

The correct decision to make!!

8. Ed Flanagan says:

With the unexpected rise in confirm cases of the Hunan Virus during the Summer, I’m not too surprised, but it’s still very disappointing. It’s been a very tough time for doing anything we took for granted like going to a store, let alone attending a CWRT meeting or a CW seminar or touring a CW battlefield.
    At least we have ECW podcasts and C-Span videos to our ECW fix till next Summer when hopefully the Hunan Virus has run its course.

Will we receive any kind of email notification about our rolling the tickets over for next year?

• Chris Mackowski says:

You should have received one already. Check your spam filter and junk mail. If still nothing, email us at emergingcivilwar@gmail.com.

• Douglas Pauly says:

I checked those Chris, there’s nothing there. I tried the survey itself again and it says that I have already indicated my preference via the options provided. I have sent an email to the address you have above. Thanks

10. Pingback: Week In Review: July 6-12, 2020 | Emerging Civil War