Question of the Week: 12/27/21-1/2/22

What Civil War book(s) did you get for Christmas?

This entry was posted in Books & Authors, Question of the Week and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Question of the Week: 12/27/21-1/2/22

1. Bob Coté says:

My friends and family know better. Amazon gift cards for me!

2. Scott Shuster says:

Robert E. Lee and Me, by Ty Seidule

Their Maryland, by Alexander Rossino

Back Door to Richmond, by William Glenn Robertson

3. Ted Romans says:

The Civil War related book that I received for Christmas depicts the story concerning the raid to sink the CSS Albemarle called “Civil War Commando” by Jerome Preisler.

4. Duffy says:

Wish my friends and family knew better… ha !

5. nygiant1952 says:

Myths of the Civil War, by Scott Hippensteel

The Oxford Handbook of the American Civil War.

6. bfswartz says:

The Boys Generals; Strike Them a Blow; and Robert E. Lee: A Life

7. As much as they think I’m silly for asking for books, my family came through this year! They got me “Cotton and Race In The Making of America” and “Disunion! The Coming of the American Civil War 1789-1859”. Both are required reading for my next college class, but I wanted to read them anyway 🙂

8. Bruce Kirchner says:

Extraordinary Circumstances, The Seven Days Battle by Brian K. Burton

9. William T. Anderson says:

Ends of War by Janney.

10. Lyle Smith says:

Marching Home by Brian Matthew Jordan and Tim Smith’s Vicksburg siege book. Have pre-ordered Sean Michael Chick’s Beauregard. I bought Ethan Refuse’s McClellan at the Antietam gift store recently. Bought Jim Hessler’s Peach Orchard book at Gettysburg’s books for historians shop, along with his Pickett’s Charge book. Also picked up Carol Reardon’s Pickett’s Charge in memory book there as well. Also got the Peter Carmichael Union soldiers book at the Gettysburg USMNP gift store. Lastly bought a John Brown biography at Harpers Ferry. And that’s just Civil War related history books. I am a hog.

Thankfully, none. I still have books from previous Christmas’s I haven’t read yet.

12. Randy Bailey says:

Ambrose Bierce, Civil War Stories. I want to read if he is as “dark” in his stories as others have said he is.

13. Chris Kolakowski says:

Giles Tremlett’s “The International Brigades” – a civil war book, although a different country’s civil war. (The XV International Brigade did contain the Abraham Lincoln Battalion and the John Brown Battery.)

14. Mike Maxwell says:

A holiday gift to myself, found on YouTube a couple of days ago: “The Surprising True Story of a Confederate Spy- Rose O’Neale Greenhow.” Presented in 2005 at UNC Chapel Hill by book author and reporter, Ann Blackman, this 40-minute talk reveals details of Mrs. Greenhow’s career difficult to acquire anywhere else. Those with a deep interest in John C. Calhoun, Jefferson Davis, the Lincoln Assassination, or foreign support of the Confederacy… will find this video especially interesting. Begins about 30 seconds in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLREy_gic5Y

15. Charles Stanley Martin says:

Not a book, but a framed map of the Battle of Fort Stevens to be hung over a diorama of the battle that I put together. Perhaps I should do a book for Emerging Civil War on the battle?

16. Paul Eilbes says:

No books for Christmas, but only because I went on a buying spree in late November!

17. “Occupied City: New Orleans under the Federals” by Capers
    Tom

18. With Malice Toward Some, Wm. Blair; Forts Henry and Donelson, Benj. Franklin Cooling; The Civil in the American West, Alvin Josephy, Jr. and Grant, Bret Bair

19. Larry De Maar says:

1. Lee is Trapped and Must Be Taken by Thomas Ryan and Richard Schaus
    2. Their Maryland by Alex Rossino
    3. First Fallen by Meg Groeling coming next month

20. Trevor Rowland says:

“The Confederate War” by Gary Gallagher and “Manassas Battlefields: Then and Now” by Garry Adelman