Historic Salem Church looked exceptionally pretty in the morning light earlier today. This sanctuary was fought over during the Chancellorsville Campaign in May 1863 as Union General John Sedgwick tried to advance west and Confederates hurried to block his route.
Looking for some history about Salem Church and the battle? Here are a few related posts from the blog archive:
- The Battle of Bank’s Ford and a Preview of Gettysburg
- Where Did Joe Hooker Lose the Battle of Chancellorsville?
- Chancellorsville’s Forgotten Front at Civil War Monitor
- “Kill Your Darlings”: Kris White, Phil Kearny, and a Toast to Papa Hemingway
- A Rainy Day at Salem Church
Also, check out the book Chancellorsville’s Forgotten Front by Chris Mackowski and Kristopher White.