As the maelstrom around the Dunker Church and West Woods began to quiet, the fighting shifted southward toward the Confederate center. For three hours, 2,500 Confederates hunkered down in a sunken road held off wave after Federal wave—some 10,000 attackers in all. Shortly after noon, the line broke, and Federals swarmed in, trapping Southerners like fish in a barrel. Afterwards, the Confederate dead were lying in rows like the ties of a railroad, in heaps like cordwood mingled with splintered and shattered fence rails.”
2022 ECW Symposium Ticket – $225.00
- What If…Zachary Taylor Was Alive During the Civil War?
- What if…Garibaldi Had Commanded the Union Army?
- Saving History Saturday: Adams County Historical Society Receives $1 Million Challenge Grant
- “This Surgeon Brought and Introduced Col. Chamberlain of Maine”
- What If Stonewall Jackson had not been shot?—The ECW Version
Search by Post Categories
Subscribe BY RSS