Question of the Week: 12/4-12/10/17

It’s holiday season… What Civil War book is on your wish list?

Or is there a Civil War Christmas book that you’d recommend?

This entry was posted in Books & Authors, Holidays, Question of the Week and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Question of the Week: 12/4-12/10/17

1. David Lady says:

Gateway to Freedom, Eric Foner

If I had not just purchased it, On To Petersburg by Gordon Rhea

2. Charles Martin says:

Ron Chernow’s new biography on Grant

• Bob Ruth says:

Charles:
      Ditto. My city’s library system has 30 copies of Chernow’s new book and a waiting list of about 140. So, borrowing a copy from the library will take the rest of next year. On the up side, Christmas is only three weeks away.

I always reread Little Women once a year. It has some wonderful Christmas stuff–

4. M.B. Henry says:

The Noah Trudeau series is pretty good.

5. tuffncuddly says:

Gordon Rhea’s On To Petersburg, was a great book to me as it covers the Grant-Lee battle between Cold Water and Siege of Petersburg from 15-18th, an area very thin in literature so great education for me. Also besides Chernow’s started Grant’s annoted autobiography and it’s full of great info. Before Rhea’s I reread Chris Mackowski and Kristopher D. White’s collaboration Chancellorsville’s Forgotten Front, also a book about a subject that’s very thin so A+, researched writing, great maps and pics! Merry Christmas!

6. tuffncuddly says:

7. tuffncuddly says:

Mr. M.B. Henry, Mr. Trudeau has so many books published but I’m unaware of a “series”, is there a specific book of his you reccomend? I enjoyed most of his books myself.

• Scott Shuster says:

If there is a true “series”, it’s probably “Bloody Roads South”, “The Last Citadel” and “Out of the Storm”. I thoroughly enjoyed his book.”Southern Storm”.

• tuffncuddly says:

Thank-you very much for taking the time to respond Mr. Shuster, I really enjoyed all those books also that’s why I asked, to make sure I didn’t miss any. Have a great day Scott!

8. tuffncuddly says:

Forgot to thank my friend at Amazon for sending me Grant’s Annoted Auto., thank-you brother “KNOCK-KNOCK”

9. tuffncuddly says:

Robert E. Rodes of The ANV…Great smooth read, lived a amazing life and the author knew exactly how to present it in a way that make’s it a page burner without going over the top-worth every penny

10. Two recommendations:
    A Savage War: A Military History of the Civil War by Williamson Murray & Wayne Wei-Siang Hsieh. You might not think we need another single-volume history, but this one is really good.
    For something different: Lincoln’s Code: The Laws of War in American History by John Fabian Witt. Centered on the Lieber Code and the Civil War, but a thorough review of the laws of war. Fascinating.

11. I would recommend a couple of classics:

1. The Liberty Hall Volunteers: Stonewall’s College Boys by W.G. Bean
    2. Lee: The Last Year by Charles Bracelen Flood

12. The Last “Years”, not “Year.” Sorry.

13. Mike Rogers says:

For folks just starting out on their Civil War journey, like my wife’s boss last year, we gave him Bruce Catton’s ‘This Hallowed Ground’ as a starting place.

14. tuffncuddly says:

I have not heard of ” Lee the last year’s” so thank you very much for the recommendation I will definitely be looking into it happy holidays God bless.