Earlier this month, the Parks & Recreation Department of the city of Cape Girardeau in Missouri announced the completion of renovations at Fort D Historic Site. The new roof, flagpole and sign have been installed, and a small ribbon cutting ceremony brought new spotlight to the site with Civil War history. Last year, the site was recognized as a place of national historic importance.
The fort was one of four built in 1861 to the protect the city from Confederate attack. Troops from Illinois, local civilians, engineers and escaped slaves constructed the forts under the the direction of John Wesley Powell. A locally recruited company (Co. F of Powell’s Battery) manned the forts and guns and later battled at Shiloh, Corinth, Vicksburg, and Atlanta.
Between 1915 and 1935, early preservation efforts helped protect the earthwork walls at Fort D. Today, the earthwork walls of Fort D are protected in the publicly accessible historic site and interpretive signage guides visitors. In “normal years,” the fort hosts living history events and special historical demonstrations. (More event and visiting information is on their website: www.fortdhistoricsite.com
Original news article and press video: https://www.kfvs12.com/2020/11/07/fort-d-gets-new-roof/